Congratulations to my li'l brother, Ben. He graduated with honors from Sky View on Tuesday. I just look up to him so much... (ok, I literally look up to everyone in my family...except maybe Heidi and Mom who are a little more my height, but, I digress...). Ben is one of the most amazing young men you will ever meet. Besides his
amazing saxaphone skills (classical and sa-weet! jazz), intense piano composing and playing, smart brain in both areas of math and english, he is also very tender-hearted in recognizing and meeting the needs of others. For example, he has heard his whole life how much us girls like to go to these school dances all dressed up and feeling pretty. He has always enjoyed dancing with us and has developed that skills very finely. But, month after month of school dance after school dance, he was not really wanting to go to another dance! Oh, they were fun and all, but what was the big deal? He told Mom once (I hope he doesn't mind), that he could live very happily and not go to one dance his whole high school career. Well, after Mom explained that he could probably live a happy life without going, but to the girls, these things are really important. Why? he asked. Because they get to look, be treated like, and feel like the princesses that they are for one night. And Mom added that especially for Senior Prom was it important to ask the senior girls so they don't have to sit at home while the boys all ask the younger girls to go. Well, I don't think Ben ever complained after that (not that he went to every boy's choice ... though I'm pretty sure he was asked to every girl's choice dance). And having the end of his high school days coming, and having many of his friends being senior girls, he did something that we all really admire him for. He asked all his buddies to be in his Prom group and to ask a certain girl to go with them, so that every one of his girl-friends would be able to enjoy their last high school formal. They had a great time, and Mom heroically fed all 14 of them when they came to our house for dinner in their gorgeous gowns and spiffy suits. Don't they look great?

On Tuesday, Ben graduated. He played the most soulful jazz solo I've heard from him yet during the Jazz Band's number. He even wore his Fedora. When they started their walk, I thought it was really neat how the whole class did a clap (just one) after every person's name was read. What a great class. The ceremony was held early enough in the evening that we still had daylight! So, we were able to take a few pics.
 |
| Class of 2011 |
 |
| Josh, Becky, Heidi, Ben, Jennifer, Michelle, Mom, Sydney |
 |
| Mom, Ben, and Dad |
 |
| "And now it's my turn! Take a picture of me" Heidi! :) |
 |
| In all his tallness |
 |
| What a cute boy! |
 |
| No wonder he has scores of girls always hanging around him! |
 |
Here's lookin' at you, kid.
We LOVE you Ben! |
Wow! Ben is all grown up! I'm loving all these posts by the way. And I also love how your blog background has changed each time I've looked. This jellybean one is definitely my fav so far. :) love you
ReplyDelete